Sunday, February 10, 2013

Grille and sun visor clips

After being convinced by a mechanic that my rust issues were nowhere near as bad as I thought, and that it would be easier to let them take care of it for me, I relented and agreed to wait until I put the car in the shop. So tonight I took care of two minor issues that have been bugging me.
First, the sun visor clips that hold the visors against the ceiling were missing and broken. $20 on ebay gave me a brand new set of reproduction parts. That was a simple screw in job, since the original screws were still there.
Next came the fun part--the grille. Now, my previous pictures did not show the grille very well, and it was in deplorable condition. To illustrate, here's what it looked like before:




Sadly, my new grille did not just slip right in. It took about an hour of slow and careful grinding with a rotary grinder, but I removed the parts of the clips that caused the interference, and it slipped right on.

This one still is not perfect, and at some point I'll likely take it off, sand blast it, and paint it. But for now...it's an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment